SUSAN G. KOMEN CHICAGO’S 2015 RACE FOR THE CURE SHINES DESPITE RAINY WEATHER

SUSAN G. KOMEN CHICAGO’S 2015 RACE FOR THE CURE SHINES DESPITE RAINY WEATHER

Event Raises Approximately $1 Million to Fight Breast Cancer Locally, Globally

CHICAGO, IL, May 13, 2015/PRNewswire/ – Despite the rain and cold temperatures, the Susan G. Komen® – Chicagoland Area (Komen Chicago) Mother’s Day Race for the Cure brought out runners, walkers, volunteers and sponsors on Sunday, May 10th at Butler Field in Grant Park.

Over 8,000 people participated in the Race for the Cure, and raised approximately $1 million. Donations can be made to the Race for the Cure up through June 30th at www.komenchicago.org. Seventy-five percent (75%) of net proceeds stay in the Chicagoland Area to provide breast health and breast cancer treatment, care and support services, while the remaining twenty-five percent (25%) benefit the Susan G. Komen® Grants Program for research.

“Our community really showed what they are made of,” commented Komen Chicago’s CEO Susan Tybon. “It was incredible to see Survivors and their families enjoying the morning and turning it into a celebration, despite the cold and rain.”

  • Zoraida Sambolin, NBC5’s morning anchor and a breast cancer survivor, and Dr. Sheri Phillips, national spokesperson for Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure, served as emcees at the Race.
  • The Post-Race show included performances by Broadway cast members of The Book of Mormon and Beyond Words Dance Company.

Daxton Bloomquist, Broadway performer from The Book for Mormon, shared, “I was so honored and excited to be a part of such a great cause to help fight the battle against cancer. I hope all the moms had a Happy Mother’s Day!”

This is the third year Komen Chicago has hosted the race on Mother’s Day, and the 18th year holding the event in Chicago.

About Susan G. Komen®
 – Chicagoland Area Affiliate

The Chicagoland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen was established in 1997 and holds two Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure events annually in Chicago and Lombard. Komen Chicago recently awarded over $1 million to 14 organizations for 2015. Since its inception, Komen Chicago has awarded over $16 million to breast health navigation, breast cancer screening and treatment projects, and has funded approximately $4.5 million in research. For more information, call 773-444-0061 or visit www.komenchicago.org.

 

# # #

 

Media Contact: Wendy Rutman

Komen Chicago, 773-444-0061