SUSAN G. KOMEN CHICAGO’S 2015 RACE FOR THE CURE® SHOWCASES BROADWAY TALENT

Cast Members of The Book of Mormon to Entertain Crowds on Mother’s Day in Grant Park

CHICAGO, IL, May 5, 2015/PRNewswire/ – The Susan G. Komen® – Chicagoland Area (Komen Chicago) Mother’s Day Race for the Cure will take place on May 10, 2015, at Butler Field in Grant Park. To register or volunteer for the event, visit http://www.komenchicago.org.

  • Participants can enjoy a 10K or 5K Timed Race, 5K Walk or 1-Mile Fun Walk.
  • The site opens at 6:30 am; Race begins at 8:00 am.
  • There will be raffles, giveaways and opportunities to learn more about breast cancer and Komen Chicago’s work in the community.
  • Zoraida Sambolin, NBC5’s morning anchor and a breast cancer survivor, and Dr. Sheri Phillips, national spokesperson for Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure, will serve as emcees at the Race.
  • New this year, there will be Post-Race performances by Broadway cast members of The Book of Mormon and Beyond Words Dance Company.

“This race is a celebration of all of the extraordinary women in our lives,” said Susan Tybon, CEO of Komen Chicago. “It’s an incredible day, dedicated to fighting breast cancer by honoring those who have battled the disease and striving to ensure that others never have to.”

This is the third year Komen Chicago is hosting the race on Mother’s Day, and the 18th year holding the event in Chicago.  Last year, nearly 10,000 participants raced to honor those who have fought breast cancer.  The 2015 Race for the Cure is expected to raise $1 million to fund research and prevention programs that further the organization’s mission of ending breast cancer forever.

About Susan G. Komen®
 – Chicagoland Area Affiliate

The Chicagoland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen was established in 1997 and holds two Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure events annually in Chicago and Lombard. Komen Chicago recently awarded over $1 million to 14 organizations for 2015. Since its inception, Komen Chicago has awarded over $16 million to breast health navigation, breast cancer screening and treatment projects, and has funded approximately $4.5 million in research. Seventy-five percent (75%) of net proceeds stay in the Chicagoland Area while the remaining twenty-five percent (25%) support the Susan G. Komen® Grants Program for research. For more information, call 773-444-0061 or visit www.komenchicago.org.

 

# # #

 

Media Contact: Wendy Rutman

Komen Chicago, 773-444-0061