- About Breast Cancer
- Community Impact
- Get Involved
- Walgreens Rewards for Mammograms Program
SUSAN G. KOMEN CHICAGO’S 2016 RACE FOR THE CURE® KICKS OFF MOTHER’S DAY, HONORS THOSE BATTLING BREAST CANCER
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE : MARCH 2, 2016
CHICAGO – The 19th Susan G. Komen® Chicago (Komen Chicago) Mother’s Day Race for the Cure will take place in Downtown Chicago on Mother’s Day – Sunday, May 8, 2016 — to honor and celebrate those who have battled breast cancer. Register to participate here.
Charizma Entertainment will emcee the event, providing music and entertainment throughout the morning. Marcellus “Marz” Lawhorn, Founder/Owner of Charizma noted, “We are there to inspire people to celebrate life, raise awareness for breast cancer and make everyone feel like they are part of something greater than themselves.”
- Site opens at 6:30 am; Race begins at 8:00 am.
- Participants can register for the 10K or 5K Timed Race, 5K Walk or 1-Mile Fun Walk.
- The traditional Survivors’ Parade will be held prior to the Race start.
“Mother’s Day is a perfect day to celebrate the extraordinary women in our lives,” said Susan Tybon, CEO of Komen Chicago. “As we come together, we not only honor those who have been affected by breast cancer, but we also raise awareness and needed funds to bring an end to this disease.”
This is the fourth year Komen Chicago is hosting the race on Mother’s Day. Last year, nearly 8,000 runners, walkers, volunteers, sponsors and spectators joined to raise awareness and honor those who have fought breast cancer. The 2016 Race for the Cure is expected to raise $1 million to fund breast health and breast cancer education, care, treatment and support services To register, or to volunteer for the Race, visit www.komenchicago.org.
About Susan G. Komen® – Chicagoland Area Affiliate
The Chicagoland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen was established in 1997 and holds two Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure events annually in Chicago and Lombard. Komen Chicago has awarded over $16 million towards the fight against breast cancer by funding grassroots breast health navigation, breast cancer screening and treatment projects. In addition, Komen Chicago has funded approximately $4.5 million in research. 75% of net proceeds generated by the Komen Chicagoland Affiliate stay in the Chicagoland Area, while the remaining 25% supports the Susan G. Komen® Grants Program for research, with many grants at local Chicago institutions.
# # #
Contact: Wendy Rutman, Komen Chicago, 773-444-0061