Susan G. Komen Illinois Affiliates Applaud Rep. Smiddy On New Breast Cancer Law
BEST Act Ensures Quality Screening and Treatment Options Throughout State
CHICAGO, IL, September 11, 2015/PRNewswire/ – The Susan G. Komen Illinois Affiliates applaud Representative Smiddy on the passage of the Breast Cancer Excellence in Survival and Treatment Act (BEST Act, HB3673) into law.
Key components of the new legislation include:
- Requires all Medicaid health plans to include American College of Radiology Breast Centers of Imaging Excellence and Academic or Comprehensive Commission on Cancer Accredited centers in their networks, so that women can access the highest quality care;
- Establishes a breast cancer treatment quality program and expands help to women diagnosed with breast cancer who are navigating the healthcare system; and
- Ensures medically necessary MRI screening as recommended by a licensed physician will be covered by insurance in Illinois.
Sean Tenner, Komen Chicago’s Board President, began working with Representative Smiddy over 18 months ago, when Mr. Smiddy’s wife, Deb, was fighting breast cancer. “We applaud Representative Smiddy on his efforts to ensure Illinois women have access to necessary breast health services, and making breast cancer a top priority this past legislative session.” Sean noted.
To raise funds to help the local community, Komen Chicago will be hosting its 6th Annual Lombard Race for the Cure on September 20th, 2015, at the Yorktown Center in Lombard, Illinois. To register for the 5K Run/Walk, go to www.komenchicago.org.
About Susan G. Komen® – Chicago
Susan G. Komen® – Chicago was established in 1997 and holds two Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® events annually in Chicago and Lombard. Komen Chicago recently awarded over $1 million to 14 organizations for 2015. Since its inception, Komen Chicago has awarded over $16 million to breast health navigation, breast cancer screening and treatment projects, and has funded approximately $4.5 million in research. 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Komen Chicago stay in the Chicagoland area, while the remaining 25 percent supports the Susan G. Komen® Grants Program for research, with many grants at local Chicago institutions. For more information please call 773-444-0061 or visit www.komenchicago.org.
About Susan G. Komen Memorial® Affiliate
Susan G. Komen Memorial Affiliate awarded 26 community health grants totaling approximately $600,000 to organizations across central Illinois who provide breast cancer screening, treatment, education and patient support services. Since its establishment, the Memorial Affiliate has awarded more than $10.1 million in central Illinois. The Affiliate holds three Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure events annually in Bloomington, Peoria and Springfield. For more information please visit www.komenmemorial.org.
# # #
Media Contact: Wendy Rutman
Komen Chicago, 773-444-0061